As I enter real adulthood, and my responsibilities pile on, I realize that my dreams of Louis Vuitton and Goyard trunks must be placed on a brief hold. That doesn’t mean I’m going to schlep a less-than-worthy roller bag through LAX and fix my lips to call myself a fashion girl.
Since I fancy myself a child of fashion, I made it my business to find some fun, stylish pieces for any trip that won’t cost me my first born. Luckily, I’m not a selfish person, so I’ll share my finds…
We have all seen those videos of airline crews throwing and dropping luggage when loading the planes. Hardshellrollerbags can protect our items in those instances.
1. If you don’t trust folks with your goods, you’ll want to invest in a hardshell bag. Thanks to Tumiand JonathanAdler, you don’t have to sacrifice your fun style for function.
2. Most of us would associate the term “spinners” with dated rims, but they’re also great luggage options. These babies have four wheels, making them much easier to rotate and roll around than traditional roller bags. This is most helpful if you decide to pack all of your platform Louboutins together, for they are most useful with heavier items. We love this simple but chic white hardside Victorinox Spectra spinner.
3. If you would prefer to carry-on, then the LipaultParis softsided roller may be for you. These bags come in great colors and are better for use as carry-ons because of their flexibility and easy access, should you need to grab or rearrange things. When you get to your destination, it folds down, making it a great space saver.
So, you’re allowed two carry-ons, right? Why not make one a cute backpack? Backpacks allow you to lug all the stuff you’ll want to have within arm’s reach while keeping said limbs free. Leave the JanSport to the kids. With so many fashionable options, you’re sure to find a backpack to match your style.
1. A tribal print backpack, like the one above from Victoria’sSecretPINK, is great for our younger, faux-hipster set.
2. We adore the sheen on a fab TumiCalais backpack for those who prefer a grown-up, minimalist look.
3. MarcbyMarcJacobs gives a punch to our airport swag with a backpack that can also be carried by its top handles.
There’s no need to pack a whole suitcase for the drive to the coast, but your backpack can’t hold everything. For this kind of trip, you’ll need a great weekender.
1. Totes are great for day trips to the beach. You can carry your sunscreen, hat, beach towel and a dry change of clothes in this fun TumiandJonathanAdler tote.
2. We love a duffle and we love a metallic. LeSportsac gives us the best of both worlds with an awesome bag for a weekend trip to the shore.
3. For my adventurous, outdoorsy hunnies (or those of us who just want to look like one), this camo Herschel supply duffle is it! We love that it also doubles as a backpack.
The more I travel, the more I realize how much crap I need to have a pleasurable trek. Aside from a nice bottle of Veuve Cliquot Rosé, here are some extras you may want to grab to ensure a less stressful arrival to your destinations.
1. You could never leave that important piece of identification behind with a fun passportcover.
2. Stand out during REM sleep with this galactic neckpillow.
3. Grab a cutesy eyemask to block out the passenger next to you that has to use their overhead light and laptop on the redeye.
4. A cute pouch can hold all your products needed to freshen up after you awake from your travel nap, or it can carry whatever aids you need to get the nap started.
5. Chic luggagetags are a must so you don’t have to fish through random suitcases at baggage claim. Sexy tags will let strangers know “this is mine!”
You may not be shopping for Louis Vuitton steamer trunk ducats, but that doesn’t mean your luggage shouldn’t be considered an investment. There may be a bit of sticker shock when you begin your luggage search, but remember that these pieces have to hold up and last you for some time—at least until you do get your luxury baggage.